Monday, July 26, 2004

The weekend was pretty good.  I got to play some pool on Friday night with Adam and some of his friends, followed by a night out at the bar with Frank.  Good times were had.  Then on Sunday I played a decent game of golf, finally.  Believe me, it was required after the last round I had in Winnipeg.  I managed to plunk in a birdie on the 4th hole, and overall shoot a decent round - except for the last two holes where I dropped a drive in the water beside the fairway, then got caught in some trees I was trying to go over (Note: A 175 yard shot over 75 foot tall trees isn't easy - I just caught the top of the trees though, and ended up about 30 yards from the pin.  Could have been worse). 

So then after that, I went and saw Spider-Man 2.  It was enjoyable, certainly.  The fights between Spidey and Doc Ock kicked a lot of ass.  The insinuation that Green Goblin will be back for the next movie is maybe disappointing, I haven't decided.  Ock was a really great villain - the fights between the two were excellent.  By comparison, the fights between Spidey and Green Goblin just don't measure up.  I'm thinking that for the next one, there will be multiple villains.  Maybe Ock will be back - the tentacles certainly weren't destroyed - they may find a way of saving Octavius.  Goblin will be back, and certainly someone new. Goblin would be wishy washy, and maybe come over and help a near defeated Spider-Man by the end (But not before being beaten and spared by his best friend, thus leading to the realization that he wants to help Parker).   But it's all conjecture, I guess we'll see what happens when it comes out.  In the meantime, Bourne Supremacy looks very cool.  And AVP comes out next month (Aug 13th) - it has all the potential in the world to be a complete cheesefest - but at the same time I really want to see it anyhow. 

 

10 Comments:

At 11:56 pm, Blogger King Koop said...

I'll almost guarantee that the Goblin is going to be back in the next movie... but he's probably going to be by himself. Maybe the Lizard could make an appearance, but the Goblin is too big a villain to team up with someone else.

Also, the Goblin probably won't be helping Spidey. The Green Goblin is, afterall, Spider-man's archvillain. Probably not in the cards, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a black costume show up in Spider-man 3!

 
At 2:36 am, Blogger Bryan said...

Yea, but it just seems like something the writers would do to appease the general moviegoers.

I've heard some things about the possible appearance of Venom. The astronaut fellow Mary Jane ditched being the first introduction of the man who (may) become Venom in the future. I hope so! Cause that would be plenty interesting!

 
At 2:45 am, Blogger King Koop said...

Dude, you're making me cry!

The great thing about the Spidey movies has been that they appeal to the general moviegoer AND to the comic book fans. They would be slapping all of the comic dudes in the face by playing down the Goblin and/or introducing John Jameson as Venom. I bet we at least get to meet Eddie Brock next movie...

On top of all that, Avi Arad and Sam Raimi have said that they are committed to telling a great story. That leads me to count out the idea of multiple villains. Remember how Batman fell to crap when they started doing two at once?

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger m@ said...

Green Goblin's a loser, and an ass. He's the most like those lame 'villains' in the 60's cartoon. With that stupid mask, and that idiotic laugh. Man I was pissed when I saw that damn kid find the costume and shit.
However, that being said, I do have faith that S3 will be different enough. They're obviously not going to make it JUST like S1. That kid who wants to kill spiderman/will be the next Green Goblin pisses me off. What a fuckin' whiner.

 
At 2:41 am, Blogger Bryan said...

But that's just it though, the guys paying the bills will be demanding more spectacle to go along with the great story. I really do have a feeling they'll end up having multiple villains. Because having only Green Goblin in the third would be far too lame - not many people would go see it cuz it's the same villain as the first. To keep it fresh they'd have to introduce a new villain. So, the new villain comes in - Green Goblin comes back (have to assume that anyhow, because that's sure what they made it look like), and everyone goes to see the new movie.

Sorry man, but that's what it looks like to me. And hey, don't worry about Spider-Man going the way of Batman. We should be pretty assured that SM3 won't be a lamefest like Batman became.

 
At 3:23 am, Blogger King Koop said...

Like I say though, the most you're going to see in S3 in the way of a second villain is either the Lizard, Scorpion, or maybe Kraven - though Kraven is only good if he kills himself at the end. With the exception of Kraven, the other two are minor and won't make up a large part of the story. The Lizard is definately the most probable, since they introduced Dr. Connors in the second installment.

I really think the Goblin is a good idea for the third movie, because Harry being the Goblin is so important to who Peter becomes. I honestly think it'll turn out differently with the new Goblin and he'll be far less annoying. He certainly wasn't the same as Norman in the comics, so he'll be different enough in the movie too. Plus, another Goblin film really drives the point home that this guy is REALLY damn important... he does in fact kill off two consecutive girlfriends of Peter's.

 
At 4:15 am, Blogger Bryan said...

hmm, well I have faith the new Goblin will be better than the old one was - I like Willem Dafoe n'all, but I can't shake the images from that cheesy conversation with the mirror. I dunno, whatever happens I know I'll be going to see it, and then buying the dvd afterwards.

I forgot to ask, how about all that action Stan Lee got hey? What a guy! Just keeps showing up in all these movies ;).

 
At 6:11 pm, Blogger King Koop said...

They should just make Stan Lee - The Motion Picture. Just put him on camera, let him talk about whatever he wants, and make him dodge flying objects. I'm telling you, more box office than Titanic!

 
At 12:57 am, Blogger Bryan said...

lol! I'd go see it.

 
At 12:26 am, Blogger King Koop said...

14!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home