Thursday, July 29, 2004

Not much is new at the moment.  The fan on my computer hasn't worked in a month, so I ripped the tower open to enhance the heat dispersion - seems to be working.  The CPU fan is still working though, so I'm not worried about a fire ;).  The thing is that I really don't want to buy a new fan for this thing.  If memory serves, the fan in there is the 4th in the admittedly long lifespan of the system - why the hell should I go buy a fifth when I have every intention in the world of getting a new computer soon.  If keeping the tower open works, then that's enough for me. 

The gym has been good, the Metabolic Whey has been good, and work has been...work.  Randy told, not asked, but told, me that I was working 12hrs yesterday.  This after having stayed a few hours late the night before, hit the gym hard, slept for 4 hours, then got woken up by a call to come in early.  Then I'm told to stay late.  Whatever happened to the days when managers had enough respect for their subordinates to ask them if they would work an extra hour or two to help out with an order?  Where did those days go!?  I guess they still exist, because in most cases I've encountered managers actually do show at least a little respect.  I thought of this, and remembered that Randy is a little weenie assface. 

It's not really a big deal, but the indignation of it!  Ah well, I feel better now having released that bit of annoyance.
To get an idea of how fun work is, here's an example of the things I find myself doing when there's a momentary lull in production.  I grab a piece of scrap, and write things like "The transcendent principle guiding all philosophy is thus: At the beginning of any process of reasoning, one must first assert that "I know nothing." "  I came up with that, and felt proud.  But can anyone here tell me which actual philosopher I borrowed that idea from? 

I also found myself pondering the concept of self, and the nature of conflict in the world.  I've decided that conflict is one of the only constants in our world.  Death, and it's counter, life the others  It is, of course, the conflict between the two of them that leads to the assertion of their being constant.  Life, fortunately, is not eternal - death waits patiently to bring it to an end.  When that happens, life renews, and the cycle that has built the living planet continues on it's merry way.  With that in mind, we understand that life and death can be considered a constant in our world, but only when considered as a conflict.  The idea of conflict anchors these two concepts together, because without it, the two cannot coexist.  Now, imagine the conflict ended, and one was declared the victor.  Can anyone imagine a world of only death? life?  Think about it.  Neither is acceptable, neither is feasible.  Life cannot exist without death.  Death cannot exist without life.  Is this true?  Close, So close.
 
As for my ponderings upon the self, I'll leave those for another time.  I'm going to go read some more Warrior-Prophet (it's kicking ass, by the way).  So I'm off for now.  The long weekend is only 2 days away, and I'm excited!


2 Comments:

At 2:57 pm, Blogger m@ said...

Reminds me of one of the early existentialists.. Kierkegaard maybe.

 
At 6:32 pm, Blogger King Koop said...

Actually, it sounds like Socrates to me.

"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing."- Socrates

 

Post a Comment

<< Home