Monday, January 19, 2004

So I was thinking, this year looks to be a big year for movie grosses. In spite of the whiny commercials we see at the start of every movie now (Stop stealing our movies, you'll make us go broke ), Hollywood continues to rake in massive coin. So, with that in mind, I thought hmm, what do I think will be the top 5 highest grossing movies this year? Here are the results of my (brief) deliberations:

1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (June)- The others were huge, but Chamber made slightly less than the first, will that trend continue? Or will Azkaban break out? I have a feeling it will. Edit: I just moved Harry Potter from second to first because after thinking about it, I decided that Harry Potter has a lot more international appeal than Spider-Man, and hence will in the long run make more money overall.
2. Spider-Man 2 (July)- Did anyone notice how much money the first made? This is pretty much guaranteed to make a fortune.
3. Shrek 2 (May)- Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy will make triumphant returns to good comedy when this baby comes out.
4. Troy (May)- It's got a lot of star power going for it, a lot of hype, a huge budget, and a masterpiece of historical writing. Hopefully its not botched, but the sheer spectacle alone will vault this movie into the top ranks.
5. King Arthur (July) - It was a tough decision with this one, because there are so many other notable entries, I chose this one because everyone loves the story - and if this is done right, everyone will love the movie. Besides that, Keira Knightly seems to be on a winning streak - I think that'll continue.

Notable Entries: Van Helsing, Alexander and Hidalgo.

Movies I think look stupid: Chronicles of Riddick, Sky Captain and World of Tomorrow.

Now, I'm probably missing some other potential big ones, and there's always the sleepers that come out of nowhere and hit everyone with rave reviews and big cash. (Big Fat Greek Wedding anyone?) But I'm betting on these ones, pretty much because they're safe bets. Guess we'll see what happens as the year progresses :).

INotD: Typhoon. This one dates back to grade 6 - usually pronounced in such moronic fashion as "Taaaiiifooooooiinnnnnaaaaahhh". Stupid? Yes.

~K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home