Sunday, January 18, 2004

I was thinking today about that oh so common saying 'misery loves company'. Why? Because just the other day I was talking with some people, and they were speaking of the hard times in their lives, and like a true ass - I kept getting that urge to say "Oh yeah? Well my life has been shit because...". I didn't, thankfully, because what a way to disrespect the people I was talking with, to try and compete with their history. What a way to disrespect the things I've gone through as well. We don't trudge through the shit and sludge that makes up our lives to complain about it later and try to make ourselves out as the tragic heroes - but to learn from it and become better people. With that in mind, I thought I might compile a little list of a few things. Not reasons why I should hate my life, but instead reasons why I should be thankful and happy with it. Here goes:

- I'm thankful my mom, my brother and I packed up one fateful day and left everything behind.
- I'm thankful for restraining orders.
- I'm thankful for my brother Dan, for being a pillar of support (even though we fought bloody often) and single handedly bringing to a close the worst 5 years of my life that I often refer to as "the dark years".
- I'm happy I went to university, and paid my own way through it (with the help of a free place to live courtesy of mom and Wayne).
- I'm thankful for all the friends/companions I've met (James, Colin, Kathryn, Barrett, Cory, Sandy, Lina, Burton to name just a couple).
- I'm happy that I've worked shitty labour jobs, because like Wayne always says at least I know what I really don't what to do now that I'm finished university.
- Probably most importantly, I'm thankful for my step father Wayne. The guy who through sheer determination and dedication dragged this family out of the fucking toilet and got us to where we are now.
- I'm thankful that a surgery exists that can repair broken knees - even though I haven't taken advantage of it yet - I will one day.
- I'm thankful for a memory that constantly reminds me where I've come from, and reminds me that nothing good in this life comes easily and without a shitload of effort.

Ok, so that's what I can come up with right now. I think the thing about a list like this, is that it's a lot harder to make than a list of things to be unhappy about. I could go on all day if I decided to bitch about the things that have pissed me off or 'ruined' my life. But what's the fucking point? The important things are those that I just mentioned, those things that make life worth living in spite of all the shit.

I've written this up stone cold sober at the urging of a certain someone (whom I send strong props to), but now that I'm done I think it's time for a drink. :) Perhaps some supper to go with it as well; being serious for a change works up an impressive appetite.

~K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home