Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Well the election turned out rather interesting. The result - a Liberal Minority - virtually assures us that little to nothing will get done in Parliament until next election. The Liberals and the NDP are just 1 seat shy of making a majority together. I must say, that at the least, makes me happy. The thought of The Liberals and the NDP as bedfellows, with the NDP holding the balance, makes me absolutely cringe.

Instead, in order to get anything through, at least 3 groups will have to agree. How likely is that? Not very. Especially on contentious legislation. The parties are talking about cooperation now, but how long will that last? It won't be long before the inherent divisions between the party lines show up. When that happens, expect the Parliamentary process to grind to a complete halt.

Can we expect a vote of no confidence, and an ensuing election in the coming months? It would seem like an incredible waste of resources - but I suppose anything is possible.

In work-related news, I'm getting moved to afternoons next week. This is annoying, it's like a rotating shift, just without the actual foreknowledge. Also, as a result of the shift change and my scheduled July 7th departure for Winnipeg, I'll only get in 2 days of work next week instead of the 3 I would've gotten had I been on nights. I'm more irritated about the lost day than anything else - I need that money!

I also worked out my time off with Randy; I'm off from the 7th up until the 19th. So that's a full 12 days I can spend in Winnipeg with everyone. So woowoo to that!

2 Comments:

At 4:52 am, Blogger m@ said...

2 seats actually ;) The Liberals have to nominate a Speaker, which will reduce them to 134 seats. Unless of course the speaker comes from a different party... right.

 
At 7:31 am, Blogger Bryan said...

That's right, forgot about the speaker, my bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home