Thursday, July 21, 2005

What are we, if not the passions that drive our thought?

We are slaves, you and I, and all humanity. Slaves to the world. Slaves to our passions.

Is it possible then, that by learning to control passion, an individual may then dominate circumstance? Yet the variables are infinite, taken as a whole. Spare it down to manageable chunks though, as in an individual basis. I know your passion, thus I have the means to dominate you.

Happiness. In an ideal world it exists, as an ideal in and of itself. Here though, it appears to exist merely as an idea of which we are all imperfect representations of. I bet Plato would agree. What sort of ingredients are required to satisfy such an ever elusive ideal? Many. Of course, the circumstances surrounding the various individuals in the world make globalizing most of the ingredients a silly proposition.

Nevertheless, allow me to make a proposal.

I contend that many of people search for a feeling of safety. Be that safety in the arms of another, in the arms of faith, or in a financial position, or in the very opposition to safety - engaging in unsafe activities. It's obvious, to be honest, and not really a revelation for anyone who engages in any hard thought upon the subject. Why is everyone so eager to fall in love? Because everyone wants to be loved in return. It transmits a feeling of self-worth, thereby validating our existence. By extension, making us feel safe in the knowledge that I exist for more than what I was before.

In my current position, I fear I lack the ingredients required to make any sort of representation of an 'ideal' happiness. Amusing, to be honest, considering my insistence that the only way anyone has the capacity to make another happy is to make oneself happy. Yet perhaps it's as much based in a realization that we cannot be happy, that we obtain the capacity to satisfy some sort of sad representation.

It bears consideration, anyway.

This fragment is merely a portion of a whole. Something uncomposed as of yet, and probably never will find the light of day - such are the activities of a fickle mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home