Saturday, June 19, 2004

I'm trying valiantly to keep out of 'the know' in reference to today's soccer games until TSN's late airing tonight. You see, I have satellite, but I don't have a subscription to FoxSportsWorld, so I didn't get to see the live presentation today. TSN Has been fairly on the ball with the games, but I guess Fox just beat 'em to the punch for a couple occasions. It kinda sucks, but that doesn't change my having to wait until 9 to see the Netherlands vs Czech Republic match. I already found out that Germany and Latvia tied at 0 when I opened my browser and saw the result plastered on the home page, oops. I guess I'll have to stay away from the home page for the rest of the day in an attempt to save myself from hearing the other result.

In other news, Paramount Canada's Wonderland opened its new roller coaster this summer, it's lamely named Tomb Raider: The Ride, but damn does it ever look cool.

Does anyone else think the latest Liberal campaign strategy screams desperation? Plying their party platform didn't work for the first stage of the election, as voters turned away in droves to other parties less entangled in scams. So now, instead the Liberal campaign is characterized by attack ads and calls to "Look at Harper! He's BAD!".

In defense of the Liberals, the opposition parties have spent the entire election calling down Martin for the sponsorship scandal and other Liberal mistakes (There's so many to choose from) over the past decade. The only difference is the focus on the real vs the imagined.

To be honest, this election is a pretty standard Canadian election, in terms of strategy. Politicians point fingers, yell at each other, and basically do everything they can to discredit the opposition. Success isn't based on how good you make yourself look, but how bad you make the opponents look.

The CBC likes to talk about the quality of our politicians, referring to fine examples of restraint and intelligent debate found between our would-be leaders. Unlike American politics, where an individual can hardly complete a statement without being cut off by the ones s/he is debating with.

Strange, someone at the CBC is obviously observing a different election than I am.

1 Comments:

At 6:04 pm, Blogger m@ said...

Well, Jack Layton must have watched a buncha US debates, because he's got that cutting-the-speaker-off-all-the-time skill down pat.
The latest spew of Liberal ads remind me a bit of Kim Campbell's ads, though at least not quite as personal. Boy those were awful.

But dude, it's your duty as an intelligent Canadian to vote Liberal this election, even if it's not who you think you should vote for. I certainly wouldn't vote Liberal, but the Conservatives winning more seats scares me. The one peace of heartening news I read recently is that even with a Conservative minority government, Martin technically CAN still be PM, if Madame Clarkson deems it so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home